Friday, January 9, 2009

Merfield's

I am always looking for good lunch places, but one of the problems in Texarkana has been that the good lunch places are not conveniently located near my office. Fortunately, that has now changed!

Across from the federal courthouse that sits in both Texas and Arkansas, and is the location of the photo opportunity that many people take advantage of on the stateline, is a new little place called Merfield's. This shop has had the name in the window with "Coming Soon" painted under it almost as long as I have lived back in Texarkana (3 years now). Obviously it did not come very soon, but it is amazing!! Part of the delay has been obtaining grants because the building is part of downtown, and there is funding available for revitalizing downtown. However, it takes forever to obtain the grant money.

In Waco, I enjoyed going to two little sandwich shops that were downtown. One was cute, the other was not about appearances, but I have often said, "I wish we had a ____________ in downtown Texarkana." Now I do not have to say "I wish" anymore. Merfield's has all sorts of fun little sandwiches with different spreads and things on them, like what you would find in the French Quarter, just less spicy. The atmosphere is very fun, with classic fixtures, but a modern look. The best part is that it is just a few blocks from the office. It is nice enough that we can take out of town clients to a nice lunch close to the office without the lunch having to be a heavy Mexican food or Italian lunch, or at the always appetizing, but not always aesthetically pleasing hamburger joint or home cooking joint downtown. So if you come to Texarkana, and want to eat at a fun place downtown, call me up and I will meet you at Merfield's!

No comments: