Thursday, January 22, 2009

Different Perspective

I thought I would share one last post about Obama for a while. I do not like to get too caught up in politics, and I do not like to share my political opinions. One thing that I think that me as a white person has a hard time comprehending is how big of a day the inauguration was for African-Americans. I know that people I know keep saying things like that he isn't fully black, or he isn't descended from slaves, or that he isn't even African-American, but the reality is that many African-Americans in this nation see that someone who looks like them, has a wife like them, has children that look like them is the leader of this nation.

One of these people is a man who is solid in his theology, and therefore does not agree with all of Obama's policies because of Obama's stance on abortion. Yet this man cannot help but feel a sense of pride and accomplishment for people who look like him because of the fact that Obama is in the White House. Therefore, I encourage you to take a look at the poem that he wrote on the morning after the inauguration so that you can begin to see how important this moment is for those of African descent. You can find it here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I seems to be surrounded by mainly white republicans friends, work ect.. so I have heard may fair share from the negitive side of Obama. Personally, I voted for Obama and I have grown tiersome of people complaining to me about the new president assuming because Im white I surley had to have voted for McCain and have the same views as them.