Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My New Favorite Place for Furniture ...

I am in love with IKEA. I received the current catalogue a few weeks ago, and I was impressed with the look and the prices. I decided that IKEA might be a more affordable way to go on some furniture that I need throughout my house. I am in the process of making a wishlist and prioritizing what pieces of furniture I need, but I have been in desparate need of bookshelves for a while. I decided that would be my test furniture to see how I would like ordering the furniture online and putting it together.

I bought cheap shelving units ($19.99 each) in the Lerberg line. I decided to get two because I envisioned that I would use the shelves to replace the shelving units I currently have my books on in the back room at my house. Shipping was a bit pricey, but I still was able to order the units for less than I could buy similar shelves in a local store. The first plus to IKEA.

The shelves arrived yesterday, and of course, I could not wait to open the boxes and start assembling last night. When I buy furniture or other items that need assembly, I am always looking for easy assembly and/or easy instructions. For example, I will not buy anything that requires assembly from Lowes because not only are their instructions hard to follow, I have found that they are often wrong. On the other hand, I will buy whatever I can from Target because, although the assembly may be a little on the complicated side, the instructions are awesome and alleviate all of the frustration in the assembly. As I opened the boxes and pulled out the instruction book, I was a little worried because the instructions did not look easy to follow. However, I ended up being pleasantly surprised at the ease of assembling the shelves, which took right around thirty minutes each.

Once assembled, I saw a completely different, much needed use of the shelves. My dining room, although I have lived in my house for two years, looked like a storage room because of my boxes of law school books and notes. When I assembled the first shelf, it looked perfect for the dining room so that I could unpacked some of the boxes. After the assembly of the shelves and unpacking of the boxes, in a little over an hour and a half I was able to turn my dining room from a storage room to a room that is able to function as a dining room. The only bad thing is that I now realize I need two more shelving units to take care of the situation in the back room at my house!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love IKEA they have great prices. How was the shipping cost for ordering online? I guess were a little spoiled because we have an Ikea in town I have never thought of what the shipping would be like.

Baylordia said...

The closest IKEA to me is Frisco, and the shipping was less than what the gas costs to go to Frisco round trip. It was about $25-30 for shipping. Definitely worth it!