Tuesday, November 18, 2008

More on Guy

Well, I just got back from New Orleans, and actually drove back on the seven month anniversary of Guy's death. That ended up being harder than I thought (especially since the thought had not crossed my mind that it would be hard). While in New Orleans, I was informed that there are several television programs coming up that mention Guy's murder. It is odd to me that his death has made national news - not only do I know someone who was murdered, but it is a high profile murder. It just seems strange to me. The whole thing is strange to me. Anyway, here are the two national news/documentaries that will be mentioning the murder and showing footage of members of his family, the funeral, and other things.

National Geographic Channel -- Inside New Orleans High. I vaguely remember the kids mentioning that people at Cohen had been given cameras to record for a TV show. Apparently this is the show they recorded for. Cohen is where most of the kids at the Center went before Katrina, and most have dropped out of after because of the violence. I believe that this is the show that will have one of his cousins interviewed and show some of the funeral or at least leaving the church. I am not positive though. I just know that a show on National Geographic included clips about Guy's murder and interviewed his cousin Marvin who is now in jail.

CNN -- Crime Fighters in New Orleans. This TV special actually mentions Guy by name in the description, so it will have something on the murder. It is coming up this weekend on CNN. Again, it is very strange to me that Guy's murder is so high profile that documentaries and news features about New Orleans crime mention him.

Anyway, I thought I would pass the information along in case you want to see what my kids in New Orleans go through on a daily basis. I am hopeful that the Inside New Orleans High will at least present the picture of why we prefer our kids to drop out of school instead of finish at Cohen - something I never thought I would say.

1 comment:

SimplyDenyse said...

Im going to have to try to watch the show on Discovery sometime.