Thursday, November 13, 2008

Anticipation

Here recently I have been thinking about specific words that seem to be themes for me in a particular week. Because of various experiences, certain words have been popping in my head and causing me to think. This week's word seems to be anticipation.

I have been anticipating my trip to New Orleans this weekend. There are many reasons for this anticipation, including the fact that I have not been since July and there are people that I cannot wait to see. I have noticed that every time I think of the trip, I get excited, which usually results in an instant good mood. Work this week has been crazy, and at times my attitude has been affected by this craziness, so I am sure that my co-workers are thankful for each thought about the trip that made my mood change instantly. It was the same thing last Friday as I was anticipating the arrival of my parents for a weekend visit.

Anticipation is something that children seem to know so well. I know that a couple of weeks ago I was able to see the happiness of a child's anticipation realized when I was able to meet the child I am mentoring at a local school. You could tell that the excitement had been building for her, and she was overjoyed when I arrived. Similarly, children anticipate the arrival of Christmas. I am sure that parents also feel a sense of happiness and joy as their children are more and more excited about the arrival of Christmas. Pure joy is seen on the faces of children as what they have been anticipating finally arrives.

I think that the birth of a child is also similar. I know that when I have friends that are pregnant, waiting for the day of the arrival of the baby also brings a sense of joy and excitement. Just thinking about the baby and its presence in my life makes me happy.

While thinking about this word, it occurred to me that Christians should have this same sense of anticipation. One day Jesus will return and believers will be in His presence forever. This should bring a sense of joy and happiness to all believers. In fact, I think that believers should think about this event with excitement and anticipation more often, and maybe believers would be filled with a sense of joy that others can see. I am sure that the wise men had a sense of anticipation as they travelled from the east to see Jesus when He was born. Anna and Simeon also had this sense of anticipation when waiting for the Messiah whose arrival was eminent. Believers should at least have the same sense of anticipation. Sure, there is mystery about the second coming of Christ and end times, but believers should look to the event with joy and excitement instead of just being afraid of the event. Of course, just like other events such as a trip, a holiday, or the birth of a baby, there are certain things that believers must get in order prior to the return of Christ. Believers should have a sense of urgency in sharing the gospel. Preparation goes along with anticipation, but I will think on that word tonight as I rush to prepare to leave town tomorrow!

No comments: