Monday, November 24, 2008

The BCS

I am not a fan of the BCS system, but like so many other things in life, it almost seems like the best of the evil systems. Even worse than the evil of the BCS system is the unending chatter by sports commentators about the evils of the BCS system. I do not like a system that encourages teams to run up the score to get "style" points that raise their rankings in the other polls just to result in a higher BCS standing. The system is also prejudiced against those teams with late season losses as opposed to early losses. Both Texas and OU will be looking to run up the score on A & M and OSU because of the much needed BCS points. Even though I am a Texas fan, and I realize that it is when Texas is high and A & M is low that A & M tends to pose the biggest threat, I am hoping that Texas does not run up the score. However, I will be cheering for them to because I want to see them in the national championship game. I do not like cheering on unsportsmanlike conduct, but I do not want to see Bob Stoops in another national championship game. The commentators talking about all of the BCS scenarios are annoying. I want the system to end not just because of its own evils, but because it will give the commentators one less thing to talk about.

No comments: