Monday, September 8, 2008

Pierced for our Transgressions

Pierced for Our Transgressions is a very thorough examination of the doctrine of penal substitution. Fortunately, I do not think that I have encountered too many people who do not believe in the doctrine of penal substitution who also profess to be Christian. However, I enjoyed the book because it covered the doctrine from so many different angles that I at least have a resource to refer to that provides me with a biblical defense of the doctrine should I need to defend the belief.

In the first part of the book, the authors perform a survey of the Bible on the doctrine, pointing out many Scriptures that support the doctrine that Jesus Christ died in place of sinners through His death on the cross. The doctrine of penal substitution teaches that Jesus suffered the penalty of our sins when He died on the cross. After making a biblical case for the doctrine, the authors take the readers on a journey through church history to exam what church fathers have said about the doctrine up to the present time. The first part of the book was outstanding. I think that any resource that examines such a key doctrine so thoroughly is worth reading.

In the second part of the book, the authors take key questions and/or assertions made by opponents of penal substitution and respond using references to Scripture or just logic. The authors show their gift of apologetics during this portion, although I have to admit that I became disinterested in some of the arguments. I do think that this portion of the book is not only necessary, but an invaluable resource should someone find themselves in a position of needing to defend the doctrine.

Pierced for Our Transgressions is a difficult book to read. It is very textbook like in its writing style. However, I believe it to be an invaluable resource for anyone interested in apologetics or the issue of penal substitution. The book is well-thought out and put together. My suggestion for lay persons would be to read the first part of the book, and saved the second part for times when you need it.

No comments: