Friday, September 12, 2008

Hurricane Ike

I have learned several things about hurricanes since Katrina, and since Ike is at the Texas coast doorstep, I thought I would share some of what I have learned.

  1. The National Hurricane Center (which is bookmarked on my toolbar) updates its forecasts at 1, 4, 7, and 10, both a.m. and p.m. This information is helpful because you know when to look at the most recent projected path and tropical/hurricane wind speed probabilities.
  2. In Texarkana, we actually have to watch the projected path of hurricanes because when Rita went over us, we had almost tropical storm force winds.
  3. During Katrina, I didn't text message. Then I found out that text messages go through when phone calls do not. Since Katrina, I have learned to text, which came in really handy during Gustav, until cell phone batteries of the people I was texting died. Maybe with the next hurricane, they will learn to buy a few of those battery powered charger things.

All of this knowledge has been put to good use the past few weeks. Today I have religiously checked the charts at 10:15 a.m., 1:15 p.m., and 4:15 p.m. At the 10 am update, Texarkana was between 30-40% chance of tropical storm force winds tomorrow.  At the 1 pm update, we were between 40-50%.  At the 4 pm update, we are between 50-60%.  I think we are in for some fun times tomorrow. Glad I have a new roof!!

No comments: