Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Olympics - Week 2 and Weekend 3

I did not watch as much of the Olympics the second week. I guess that overall it was not as exciting as the first week of competition. Also, I usually could find out the results online before they showed the event that night, making the watching of the events seem less exciting.

Track and Field

Overall, it seemed pretty boring. The main stories seemed to be about Jamaicans instead of Americans, which made watching the events even more boring. I miss the days of Michael Johnson. I also miss the days of Jeremy Wariner being coached by Clyde Hart. The sad thing is that I don't think that Jeremy Wariner learned his lesson though. I am sure there is something that went awry in their relationship, but the change in coaches hurt Wariner. He definitely did not look as relaxed in the 400 final. The US guy that dove over the finish line was crazy though. Awesome.

Gymnastics

The events finals were ... well, boring. I guess that is what happens when you have seen the same routine over and over and over again. Plus, the "controversy" surrounding the age of the Chinese competitors is pretty boring too. The IOC is not going to do anything about it even though it is obvious that there are underage girls competing. The Chinese explanation about them being smaller than Americans and Europeans is laughable when you look at the Chinese divers who are obviously 16 and much bigger than their gymnastics counterparts. But, nothing will be done about it so stop complaining already!

Water Polo

I watched water polo one night because I was having trouble falling asleep. Let me tell you ... water polo becomes an x-rated late night event when they show the underwater camera and the players are tugging at each other's suits. I decided I did not like watching water polo very quickly. On that note, I think it is time that water polo and diving go to the biker short type speedos instead of the traditional speedos.

Diving

I like the Australian guy that beat the Chinese just because he beat the Chinese. It was awesome. I do not like the Chinese divers because they are too perfect and do not mess up enough. It takes the excitement out of watching.

Men's Basketball

If you missed the gold medal game, you missed a lot. It was great. Of course it was played at 1:30 in the morning, so unless you have DVR or still tape things the old way on the VCR, you probably missed it. It almost made me like Kobe Bryant. Then I remembered that it was Kobe.

Watching with Little Kids

On Friday I was able to watch the Olympics while babysitting an 18 month old little boy. There is nothing like watching the Olympics with a little kid around!!! He was hilarious! When the track and field relays were going on, he would look at the TV, bend down in the start position, and run laps around the couch and loveseat until the race was over. Anytime they showed anyone in a swimming pool, he would start yelling "googles!" When the Chinese diver would grunt while diving, he would grunt and jump with each replay. An otherwise boring night of the Olympics was made entertaining by watching him watch the Olympics!

Closing Ceremonies

I think I was just tired of China by the time the closing ceremonies came around. It was kind of a depressing show though. The "Bejing Bejing" song made me laugh, as did Jackie Chan. The coolest thing about the closing ceremonies was the awarding of the marathon gold medal at the closing ceremonies. And maybe Jimmy Page playing the guitar.

No comments: