Monday, August 11, 2008

Fried Oreos and Candy Bars

Last night several of us got together and started frying all sorts of foods. This was Sky's idea, although I did provide the small fryer and milk. I have to say that I tried almost everything, and it wasn't that bad (in fact, some things were surprisingly good):

* Cracklings -- made with salted pork. Salty (to the point that I think I am preserved for all time), but good.
* Gouda cheese -- probably needed more of a dough batter than a cornmeal batter, but very yummy! One of my favorite fried things all night.
* Cheese sticks (the pre-prepared kind)
* Pickles -- The batter seemed to be missing something, but fried pickles are surpringly good
* Squash -- can't go wrong
* Reese's Peanut Butter Cups -- Sky has been wanting to fry candy bars for a while, which was the inspiration for the evening. He chose peanut butter cups, and battered them in a pancake batter. Again, suprisingly good. I was impressed. The pancaked batter kind of tasted like beignets, which gave the fried Reese's a fried pie/stuffed donut type taste.
* Oreos -- I think that someone had mentioned frying oreos to Sky, which is why he wanted to fry a candy bar. They used the same batter as for the Reese's and the oreos were pretty good. Not as good as the Reese's, but I did like how frying the oreos made them cake-like.
* Apples -- I did not taste this one, but I did eat the remainder of the apple, which was one of the best apples I have had in a while.

Since my fryer has a lid, we did not make that much of a mess. All in all, it was a pretty interesting evening for the taste buds. Nothing like fried candy bars and the Olympics.

1 comment:

SimplyDenyse said...

no fried twinkies?? I love fried pickles.