Thursday, August 7, 2008

Brett Farve

As a long time football fan, I am disgusted to read the stories about Brett Farve. One thing that I do not like about sports is that there is no loyalty to teams that have built the athlete up and paid them way too much. I have never been a Farve fan. There is just something about him that I like to dislike. However, he is the face of Green Bay football. Now, he looks like a whining baby. If I were a cheesehead, I would be tempted to burn all Farve jerseys ... but the ironic thing is that they still love him and blame the Packers. I am not saying that the Packer management does not have any blame in the situation. I am sure that there are things that they could have handled better. However, he retired, and when he saw that the Packers were going to play without him and not beg him to come back, he decided to pull the "just kidding." Didn't he learn any lessons from Joe Montana or Michael Jordan? Sure, some people will remain loyal fans, but it is not going to be the same as it was. When you retire and come back, you are just not as good as what you used to be. Plus, chemistry between the quarterbacks and the players has to develop over time. Packer fans should be thinking good riddance and get ready for the next generation. Jet fans should be moaning because they already had quarterback woes, and now added a disgruntle old quarterback to those woes. Other quarterbacks should be watching this and taking notes (hint, hint Peyton Manning ... stick with the Colts then retire).

I wish someone would bring the concept of loyalty back to sports. Now, owners fire coaches because of one "bad" season. What happen to the days of people like Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi where a coach was expected to be there for years? Sure, there are still some Joe Paternos and Steve Spurriers in the world, but unfortunately it appears that they are a dying breed. I do think it is time for some coaches to go after a few years (after some truly bad seasons), but I also think that organizations tend to fire too quickly. If the organization is not going to be loyal to players and coaches, maybe we should not expect players to be loyal to organizations. I think it is a problem all around.

No comments: