Thursday, August 7, 2008

Last Tyler Perry Movie ... for now

I hope that I do not have to wait too long for him to come out with another, but I think that I have now watched all that Tyler Perry has written/directed so far. He needs to do more!!

Madea's Family Reunion was a another great movie by Tyler Perry. He definitely took on some tough issues in this movie including various types of abuse. The movie was actually so-so to me until the portion where the family reunion is occurring at a plantation. WOW! Cicely Tyson and Maya Angelou had some powerful things to say. I am not sure how much of that was written by Tyler Perry or how much Tyler Perry allowed those women to determine what to say, but it was incredible. This is coming from someone who is not a fan of Angelou (but only probably because she is endorsed by Oprah so much). When Tyson is talking about how much black men are needed, it makes you want to stand up and say amen. It is strange how Tyson can get away with saying some of the things she said, but Bill Cosby outrages society by saying some of the same things.

Perry is a gifted film maker and I hope that he continues to create movies that attack some of these issues. I know that I am a fan.

No comments: