Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The Stepford Wives

Last night I watched The Stepford Wives (the newer version with Nicole Kidman).  I was surprised that I actually liked the movie.  I have not seen the original (which is probably better than this version because they almost always are).  Sure this movie seems to be too much in support of feminism, sexual freedom, making fun of the traditional family, so you can see why I am surprised I liked it.

One of my favorite directors is Tim Burton.  I like how he is creative, original, and creates his own fantasy world that the movie fits in.  This movie was definitely Tim Burton like, although he did not direct the movie.  Therefore, I am not a big fan of the director because it is like he tried to copy Tim Burton, even down to the soundtrack.  Very similar to the soundtrack of Edward Scissorhands and even the colorfulness of Edward Scissorhands.  Therefore, I wish that the director had been more original or that Tim Burton had done this movie because he probably could have done it better.

I was surprised at the acting.  There was melodrama.  The characters were not all that realistic, and that is part of what made it great.  There is too much truth behind the story that we need it to look like fantasy in order not to be scared.  I know that sounds strange, but you will understand if you watch it.  

The movie was clean by today's PG-13 standards.  I don't remember much cussing.  There are sexual innuendos, sounds, discussions, but you don't see any skin throughout the movie (something that is rare in PG-13 movies today).  Homosexuality is portrayed and accepted as normal, which is one of the problems that I had with the movie.

Overall, the storyline was very entertaining, the acting was melodramatic (which made it good), and the look of the movie was well done.  I would recommend this movie, in part because it makes you think yet you still feel entertained.

No comments: