Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Interesting Questions and Clarifications

Some of you may have seen the list of 21 questions that the Mormon church offered answers to on FOXNews.com.  I found it interesting that there were more than 21 questions posed, but these are the 21 questions that the Mormons felt were worthy of answering.  Makes me wonder what the other questions are.  What struck me is that they repeated themselves too much, made sure that the answers sounded Christian enough, and really (to me it seemed) tried to answer things in a misleading way.  If you can't be straightforward about your doctrine, then you have problems.  I found it interesting that in their attempt to sound like Protestant Christianity, they really failed in my opinion.  What scares me is that people that do not know their own beliefs within Protestant Christianity or those who have a misunderstanding of Protestant Christianity will read those answers and think that Mormons are not part of a cult.  I especially liked the postmodern definition of "cult."  I would encourage persons within the Christian community to realize what is not talked about -- the Holy Spirit was left out of each answer.  I know that they claim to believe in the Trinity and Holy Spirit, but that person of the Godhead was not mentioned.  Additionally, Jesus was created instead of co-eternal in the answers that they provided.  They mention that Jesus is immortal, but they leave out that He is, always was, and always will be.  All things were created by Him, and to Him, and through Him.  He is the Word.

Today I ran across another blog that clarified the Mormons' answers to the questions.  I would definitely suggest reading both since the Mormon faith will be a topic of conversation at least a little while longer while Romney is in the running for president.  What impressed me about Rob Bowmans additional information and clarifications was that he pointed out how the answers were misleading or lacking essential information to be a true representation of what the Mormons believe.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought this was a helpful analysis of the mormon question issue.

I don't understand how they could fail to realize that those repeated answers make them look childish and totally ignorant.


http://www.aomin.org/index.php?itemid=2411