Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Arsenic and Old Lace

I recently watched Arsenic and Old Lace all the way through from start to finish for the first time.  I had listened to the classic radio play and seen bits and pieces of the movie, but this was the first time I watched it all the way through.  All I can say is WOW!  Clever acting, clever writing, great direction.  I wish that they would make movies today like they made them back then.  Of course, I like almost anything with Jimmy Stewart in it.  It takes a great writer though to create a character that is "sane" but acting crazier than all the others, and characters that are "insane" acting sane.  You feel at the end of the movie like the one who is normal is the crazy one!  Sure, like so many old movies, there is a bit of melodrama (probably an understatement), but that is what makes those movies so great.  They really are an escape from reality instead of being bombarded with realistic things that you would prefer not to see.  Actors knew how to act, writers knew how to write.  Creativity was valued.  I was entertained.  All I can say is that I highly recommend the movie!

No comments: