Monday, December 3, 2007

College Football

I love college football.  I love spending my Saturdays camped out in front of the TV, reading good books while football is played in the background.  I love getting into the close games, cheering my teams on, or the underdog who is about to pull out an upset against a team I dislike.  I like the experience of flipping back and forth through the different games just because there are ten on at a time.

Maybe I should have put that all in the past tense.  This season I discovered something -- although I like the occassional upset, I do not like it when there is too much uncertainty in college football.  I would rather know who is going to win.  I would rather not have teams that are really not as good as their record speaks occupying the No. 1 and 2 spots just so that we can watch them fall each week in "upsets" when they face their first tests of the season.  Plus, I have decided that upsets can become old news when each week is filled with five of them.  I think that the BCS chose the right teams to play for the national championship since someone has to go to the championship game.  I am not sure that the BCS chose the right teams for the remaining BCS games though, but I guess in this year of college football, that doesn't really matter.

This is the craziest season of college football, although the two teams in the BCS championship game doesn't necessarily reflect that.  How much more fun would it have been to see Missouri v. West Virginia in the record books to truly reflect this season of chaos!  I am beginning to wonder if the BCS has created this chaos because of a flawed system (although any system would be flawed in some way or another) that finally imploded to create a year of uncertainty.  There are going to be years where the main conferences are full of good teams and highly competitive with two teams easily able to win the national championship or compete in the championship game, but because of the competition in the conference, the teams find it hard to come out without two losses.  Plus there are going to be years where the best teams in the nation have bad days.  There are going to be years where, for some unknown reason, the Big 12 South can't decide who can win on a given Saturday, but it is always capable of defeating even the best teams in the Big 12 North.  When all of this happens in one year, it creates chaos.  As a fan of college football, I have decided (at least through my actions) that I don't like chaos.  Hopefully things will be back to normal next year.  I mean, Kansas in a BCS game?  You have to be kidding me!

No comments: