Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Second Chance

I am falling behind on my movie reviews, but I finally was able to get some of them written and off the laptop.

The Second Chancesurprised me as a movie. I thought it would just be a white movie portraying the inner city like it is not. Although they did make things a little more mild, I am surprised at how close to real that it tried to be. I also have to say that I often feel the same way about how the white church treats ministry to the inner city. The white church seems to think that it is better to send money than to spend time. The sad thing is that money may provide programs, but it does not provide the relationships that are needed to actually help these kids, teenagers, young adults, and struggling adults. This movie is definitely a strike against the church, and I think that it is a needed criticism. The church in America thinks that money fixes everything. Why minister in the inner city when we can pay someone else to do the dirty work. We go on our week long mission trips thinking we changed lives when in reality we experience a religious high and pat ourselves on the back for doing good. What good does it do to work a week when we do not work in a mission field the rest of the year? The movie is a convicting movie. If you do not want to leave the comfort zone of your pew, I would not suggest watching this movie. I really did not think that I would like the movie. I mean, Michael W. Smith is trying to act in it. However, it is a little too close to reality on what is going on with our inner city centers and churches. I challenge you to watch the movie, and to do something about it. Do not be afraid to get dirty for the gospel. Do not be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone. Put the gospel into action instead of just paying for its spread.

I do realize that I may be a little judgmental, yet fussing at people for being judgmental. The movie deals with that as well. Trust me, I see my faults!

*Warning: Although it is a religious movie, it does have a pastor that cusses, scenes with drugs, and some violence. Just realize that this is the reality of working in the inner city. There is nothing more offensive than "holier than thous" judging because of the way that a ministry in the inner city conducts itself. For example, after a repass at the Center in New Orleans a group of WMU ladies came in to "clean" the Center were more concerned about the ice chest that said Budweiser instead of realizing the amount of strength it takes to minister in that type of situation. If you are that type of person, please spare us and only send your money. Also, do not watch this movie because you will be the type of person that will be offended by the language instead of getting it. I hope that you will instead be the type of person who can overlook that kind of thing.

No comments: