Thursday, July 3, 2008

The Count of Monte Cristo

I am surprised that it has taken me this long to watch The Count of Monte Cristo. Keven Reynolds, either the director or producer, is a Baylor graduate, and I had his scholarship (funded by his parents) while I was in undergrad at Baylor. Plus, he had his hand in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, which is one of my favorite movies of all time. I just never got around to seeing this movie until last week.

I am a big fan of period pieces and historical fiction. A brief review of my favorite movies will show one that (Gone with the Wind, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, First Knight, etc.). Even in books, I love history and historical fiction. I definitely enjoyed the historical setting of the movie, and all of the props, sets, and wardrobe that goes with it, including the almost obligatory Napoleon. I thought that the casting was great, especially for Dantes. Jim Cavaziel was the perfect actor to pull off the ignorant, then innocent, then vengeful yet good main character in the story.

Some of the props/settings were too unbelievable. The Count's entrance at the party at his estate was a little much. Maybe it could have been pulled off without the acrobats. It just seemed over the top instead of just gaudy. However, for each of the unbelievable things, there were some settings that were almost perfect. Chateau d'If was believable because it did not show too much (although the planned escape and the teaching that went on was pretty unbelievable ... but that is fiction, right?) and the fight in the wheat field was great. Movies need to have some moments that are unbelievable to remind you that you are watching fiction, but it needs to be close enough to believable that you want to believe it. I felt like this movie was pretty close to this line of believability.

The story is a hard story to watch, but that is part of what makes the movie great. I found myself cheering for Dantes to get revenge, yet wanting him to forgive instead of get revenge all at the same time. It was uncomfortable, but that is the same struggle that I feel within myself when I just want to get revenge, but know that is not the right thing to do. There is something so human about the struggle, and that adds to the enjoyment of the story.

If I had to fault the movie on one thing, it would be that the screenwriter basically bragged about not sticking true to the story. I have not read the book. I want to read the book, but now, after hearing what the screenwriter said, I am afraid it would make me not like the movie. Yet, I like the movie right now. I will probably end up reading the book. I am sure that curiosity will get the better of me, so maybe I need to watch the movie a few more times before I read the book.

If you like historical fiction, and do not mind movies that remind you you are watching fiction, I would highly recommend this movie. Predictable to an extent, but it seems that all movies are since there probably is no such thing as a new or unique story (or storyline). Highly entertaining, exciting where it needed to be, slow where it needed to be, this movie strikes a balance that most directors and producers do not try to strike.

No comments: