Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Wreck



Yesterday I was involved in a wreck.  Not my fault and no one was injured.  I was stopped at a red light on Olive at the intersection with 14th.  My light turned green.  I started to go.  I heard the screeching of brakes.  I stopped a little ways into the intersection.  The other car slammed into the front part of my car.  He had a red light.  His brakes screeched for a while before hitting me, so I am thinking the guy wasn't paying attention to the fact that he had a red light.  Simple, right?  Well, a witness who could not see his light wanted to say that both lights were green at the same time.  Although he originally said when he got out of the car that his light was red, by the time the police got there, he said the accident was his fault, but that the lights were green at the same time.  Plus, his insurance didn't have a policy number and instead said pending, which has started a nightmare of an interaction with his insurance company with them saying it could take up to a month to determine whether I get a rental car.  Frustrating!  One adjuster even told me that since I am an attorney, I can afford my own rental car (I have since requested a new adjuster).  I was informed that I have a duty to mitigate my damages, meaning I have to turn this in to my own insurance company or I run the risk of being out the cost of storage at the wrecker service that had to tow my car.  That also means that I am out my deductible for a period of time (meaning I now can't afford a rental car) while they try to sort things out.  Fortunately, now my insurance company is the one that has to deal with them except for rental car reimbursements.

Above are some pictures.  The pictures look like minor damage, but part of the frame/axle/something that is on the other side of the tire is screwed up because I couldn't turn my wheel after the accident and there was a horrible grinding noise as we pushed my car into the parking lot nearby.

No comments: