Monday, November 5, 2007

1776

I finished reading the David McCullough book 1776and I highly recommend this book.  I enjoy McCullough's writing style as he makes history entertaining by telling a story instead of just facts.  This reminds me of the Greek historians (although some of them were not relating facts but myths).  He shares the story of the first year of the Revolutionary War with particular interest in Washington, and how he learned from his mistakes to become a great general.  It is incredible to see the steadfastness of nature that the commander in chief exhibited in the face of what I would have considered complete defeat.  McCullough writes in a way that makes the fact seem like a good fiction book yet stays true to what really occurred (if the 50+ pages of bibliography is any indication).  He uses letters written by the main actors to provide insight into what was being thought inside the heads of these men that we have learned about since elementary school.  Because of the ease of read, I believe this book to be the pleasure read of fiction while tapping into my love of history.  Therefore, I highly recommend this book for all people who like war fiction, non-fiction, or just a good read.

No comments: