Thursday, October 4, 2007

Lil T Update

Well, some of you know by now that my poor little puppy will never be the same again (and will never produce offspring) because of his minor surgery on Monday.  I got a kick out of the event.  For starters, you have to have the dog at the vet at 7:30.  I don't get anywhere by 7:30.  Then they say that they will call you to let you know that your baby made it through surgery.  Fine.  When they call, they act like they are giving you an update on a relative that wasn't expected to make it -- your baby is doing fine, he is waking up well, he is a little groggy but that should wear off, you can pick him up at 4:30, he will be missing his mommy by then, etc.  My dog is a dog, not a human, and it was a surgery that some of my youth could have performed without ever putting him under (so they tell me).  However, I chose to take him to the vet to be charged because it would be less painful for him, not because he is almost human.

I go to pick up Lil T, and they give me the list of instructions - no jumping for 2 weeks, no running, keep activity at a minimum for 24 hours, small amount of food and water tonight because he will throw up, he will be groggy and act like he doesn't feel good, no bath for 2 weeks, he won't like his pills, etc.  I guess that they have never met my dog.  They bring him out in his pet taxi that is now too small for him, but proceed to take 15 minutes to run my card through the machine to pay for his vet bill.  15 minutes of the stupid dog trying to get out of his taxi and going crazy.  Well, there goes the keeping activity at a minimum for 24 hours.  We get home, and the first thing he does upon exiting the pet taxi is jump up to about chest level on me to nip at my elbow.  There goes the no jumping for 2 weeks.  I let him sit with me in the living room, and he proceeds to run in circles and jump from couch to love seat to couch to love seat to couch.  There goes the no running.  By this point I was pretty sure that he wasn't going to act groggy or like he didn't feel good either.

Dinner time for him came around and he ate and drank just fine without throwing up.  Good thing I guess, especially since he was jumping around.  The next morning it came pill time.  My dog thinks that pills are treats because I give him a digestive pill every day and he loves it.  Lil T thought he was in heaven because he got three pills instead of one.  He was so excited.  So basically the vet's assistant was wrong about everything.  I don't know how my psychopathic dog is going to survive 2 weeks without a bath (he loves those too).  

Well since his surgery, we have had no accidents in the living room (prior to the surgery he had gotten in the habit of marking the couches, and spent the last two months away from the living room).  Lil T has not calmed down any, although I really didn't expect that to happen.  So if I had to pay to make him a eunuch so that he would stop peeing on the couch, it was worth it.  Now he can watch TV again and see his favorite Dyson vaccuum cleaner commercial and bark at things that are on the floor that shouldn't be.  And, it means I have to keep my living room clean enough for him, meaning I can have people over again!

No comments: