Monday, October 8, 2007

Finding Consistency in College Football

I have said, and will probably continue to say until sometime in the first week of January, that this is one of the strangest years of college football that I have ever seen.  There seems to be no powerhouse, except maybe LSU after watching them play a bit on Saturday.  Until Saturday, I thought USC was the powerhouse, but then they had a random turn of events resulting in a loss (don't get me wrong, I am overjoyed that they finally lost!!!  even better that it was to a pretty bad team!!!).  Texas, OU, Michigan, Penn State, Georgia, etc., etc., etc. have had surprising losses in the past few weeks, making me wonder what has happened to the teams that are considered the best year in and year out.  South Florida is in the top 5 right now.  Four teams in the top 10 this week were unranked to start the season.  It is crazy.

Yet, in all of this inconsistency and uncertainty, you can count on one team to continue to do what it has done year in and year out.  I am of course talking about my Baylor Bears.  Now here is a team that realizes how uncomfortable it is for the fans to live with all of this uncertainty in college football, so they want to make it easy on their fans.  As a Texas fan, it is hard for me to watch each week because I just don't know what is going to happen, and it makes me so nervous that I may have an ulcer by the end of the season.  However, Baylor doesn't put me through this mental and physical torture.  They are concerned about my health and the health of their fans so much that they feel that we don't need any surprises.  Yes, they may keep us on the edge of our seats for 3 quarters (or the first set of downs), but they give us plenty of time to adjust to the outcome of the game.  While other fans have to remain in a state of inner turmoil about whether their team is going to make a bowl game, remain ranked, remain undefeated, etc., Baylor makes sure to take away all turmoil early in the season.  Although there is a chance of a bowl game, everyone knows it is a long shot and isn't worried about it occurring.  Everyone knows that Baylor is not going to top the Big 12, so any win that comes at this point will just be a time to laugh.  Laughter is good medicine, right?  Now don't get me wrong.  I still cheer for my Bears.  I am proud when they win a game here and there.  I really don't care whether we keep this coach or let him go.  Everyone knows it is about recruiting anyway, and frankly, it is hard to recruit for Baylor when you have UT, aTm, and Tech recruiting in the same state (not to mention OU who has more Texans than Oklahomans on their team I think -- it may be 50/50, but I digress).  So here is to the one team who seems to have found a way to be consistent in this year of college football!  Baylor, I salute you.

No comments: