Friday, October 5, 2007

2 Timothy 1:13

I am learning that the more I study the Bible, the more I realize I don't know.  Yesterday I was doing my Precept study in 2 Timothy, and the day's assignment was to focus in on the words used to make up one verse.  You would think that would be a quick Bible study.  I mean, it is just one verse.  But somewhere between 30-45 minutes later, I was amazed at what I had learned after just scratching the surface - I did not make it past the 6th word in my study. 

Here is the verse:

Retain the standard of sound words which you have heard from me, in the faith and love which are in Christ Jesus.  (NASB)
Follow the pattern of sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.  (ESV)

Before looking at the meanings of the words, it is easy to just repeat these words as a sort of catch phrase to show our knowledge of Paul's letter and to encourage others to retain the standard.  However, as I studied the meaning of the words, the meaning of the verse became so much deeper.  

I have to apologize now for not being able to refer to the Greek words whose meanings I am going to give (since my notes are at home), but I don't like to latinize the words anyway (you can call me a Greek snob).  The word translated retain is also translated hold-fast, hold-firm, stand strong.  I don't know if this is how the term was used or not, but I picture in my head an army that is holding the line, following the general's orders, even though it may not look like the smartest thing to do because they are being attacked.  The word translated standard in NASB is probably better translated pattern (as the ESV translators realized).  It has the idea of an artist who makes a sketch before drawing the real thing.  The picture that comes to mind for me is a sewing pattern, or maybe even a blueprint/instructions that come along with building a prefabricated building.  Sound words are healthy ideas, healthy complete thoughts.

What is it that Paul is instructing Timothy to do?  Paul is telling Timothy to follow the pattern of teaching and preaching and presenting the gospel that Paul has set.  Paul is instructing Timothy to hold fast to the biblical model of teaching.  That means that those who are teaching the Bible need to look to the Bible to determine if a particular method of teaching is supported by the Bible.  It means that one has to have a grasp of Scripture to teach Scripture.  Paul used Scripture to interpret Scripture.  More importantly, Paul had the gospel as the center of all that he taught.  Christ is the main character of the Bible, and the gospel needs to be proclaimed.  I know that there are times when teaching through Scripture that I have failed to include the gospel.  Since studying that verse, I have thought over the stories and the teachers in the Old and New Testament.  Just look at the Minor Prophets, and the gospel is throughout what they are teaching.  Look at Jewish law and Christ was being taught (Hebrews confirms this).  Look at the epistles in the New Testament, and you see the gospel of Christ.  

In all, I think that we need to make sure that the focus of everything that we teach is Scripture so that we can follow the example of Paul and other biblical writers and teachers.  We need to allow Scripture to teach us how to teach Scripture.  Most of all we need to make sure that the gospel of Christ is taught in each message that we bring.

No comments: