Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Walk the Line

I guess that today I am just in a writing mood! I get into these sometime and just feel like there is so much I want to say, yet don't have too much time to say it in since I do need to work sometimes.

Anyways, the movie this past week that I received as part of Netflix was Walk the Line. I am very impressed with the movie. I ended up watching it twice. The acting was some of the best I think I have seen and the music is phenomenal (of course -- I already like all of Johnny Cash's music anyway). The movie has me thinking too. It is incredible the gift of music and words that some people have, including Johnny Cash. His ability to put words to music to convey some ordinary and some extraordinary human emotions was a talent to create works of art. It is amazing the things that humans are capable of doing because God has given us different gifts and talents. Music is an incredible gift from God to mankind. I enjoy listening to music, even to Johnny Cash's music. I also enjoy watching movies that are works of art instead of just entertainment on the big screen (I think this movie qualifies as a work of art). Unfortunately, for each of these works of art, there are hundreds if not thousands of bad movies/music that claim to be works of art. I am getting a bit off subject, but I think it is important that we evaluate whether something is a waste of time and noise and space, or whether it is really a work of art. I also think it is important that we make sure our talents do not waste time and noise and space, but are really meaningful. For the Christian, that means using our talents to glorify God.

All in all, I think that this movie is one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. I think it is worth seeing. You see how a man seeks his gratification in things of this world, and how he ends up at rock bottom because of it. You also see the pain and heartache caused by loving someone who is not your spouse, although both John and June ended up divorcing their spouses and eventually married and spent many years together. Watching this movie and Ray show how so often in the world of music and show business, a rise to fame also means a fall in your personal life as too many give in to drugs, alcohol, and sex. Really should make someone think twice about wanting to become famous.

No comments: