Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Disney Channel v. MTV

I have to tell you that as a person who works with youth, I cannot be more thrilled that so many of the youth I work with watch the Disney Channel more than MTV. Don't get me wrong -- I am not a big fan of TV in general. However, when you look at what the kids are watching on MTV, it is enough to make you want to tell every parent to block the channel from their TV or they are going to lose their kids to this culture around us. MTV is teaching the kids that it is normal to sleep around, seek popularity, engage in the party culture with drugs and alcohol, and become mean people. I mean, look at how the girls on almost all of the shows treat each other with their fighting and bickering and backstabbing, resulting in our youth saying things like "that is just how girls are" to justify their own fighting and bickering and backstabbing. Please parents, block the channel from your TV (or at least the shows that do not support the values you promote). And please parents, become informed about what your children are watching. Sit down one night and watch the shows with them, or at least take a Saturday to watch a few episodes of some of the more popular shows as they are typically shown in a marathon-type format on that day. It is eye-opening!

I am not saying that the Disney Channel is perfect.  There are shows that I do not like.  There are actors that I do not like because of the choices they have made in their personal lives.  However, I am a fan of the fact that the channel is not showing "wait to have sex" commercials, but then portraying teenagers in the shows as having sex as if it is a normal decision.  Speaking of commercials, I am a fan of the fact that Disney doesn't promote products or movies other than Disney products or movies in its commercials.  Given the alternative of skantily clad men and women and horror movie previews to which my eyes were subjected on Saturday while watching MTV, I am a huge fan of this decision on the part of Disney.  I am a fan of the fact that I don't think I have ever seen a gay couple on the Disney Channel even though MTV is coming out with a bi-sexual dating reality show.  Sure, Disney has endured some gay scandals, but at least promotion of that lifestyle isn't leaking over into kid programming (although I must say, yet.).

Parents, please be informed about what your children are watching, whether it be on the Disney Channel or on MTV.  Parents, be proud of your children when they choose to watch High School Musical (cheesy as it may be) over the most recent episode of The Hills or Real World.  Parents, don't allow TV to be the babysitter/main entertainment/replacement for books for your children, but limit the time your child has access to TV.  Parents, remember that it is your responsibility to raise your children and not society's.

No comments: