Thursday, August 30, 2007

Note on Mother Teresa

Here is a link to an article that says what, in some ways I was trying to say in my previous blog on the subject, better than I said it. I agree with this quote: "I possess no ability to read Mother Teresa's heart, but I do sincerely hope that her faith was in Christ, and not in her own faithfulness" and I would add to that that I hope her faith was not in her works for Christ.

And I just came across this comment that hit home for me, especially since I too thought of Martin Luther:


"I appreciate Dr. Mohler for reminding us that Christ, and what He has accomplished in His life, death, and resurrection, is the source of our hope.

As I read about some of Mother Teresa's struggles, I cannot help but think of the Catholic Monk, Martin Luther, who was himself plagued with doubt and fear for much of his early religious life. For, having a keen legal mind, he knew all too well how he had not met the perfect demands of the law of God.

Yet, as I read Dr. Mohler's article, I am also reminded of the beautiful, life-transforming truth that Luther discovered in the pages of Scripture: that God saves sinners by grace alone, through faith alone, on the basis of Christ's life, death, and resurection alone.

I hope and pray that the recent revelations of the struggles and doubts of a women who was so loving and kind, and had done so many wonderful things, remind us of what Dr. Mohler has echoed in his post: out of gratitude and love to God for His marvelous grace, let us serve others; but let us trust in Christ alone to save us sinners who cannont save ourselves. Thanks be to God, Christ came to save sinners!" (Josiah Jones)

No comments: