Monday, August 6, 2007

It's Just a Song?

Yesterday during a discussion in Sunday School about a particular song played on Christian radio, I heard words that made me wonder at what contemporary Christian music is teaching us. Now granted, I was probably wrong in the way that I pointed out my dislike of the song because of its lack of theological correctness (with a sneer and a twinge of spiritual arrogance unfortunately ... that is what happens when truth is spoken outside of love, but that is the subject of another blog for another day). However, the words that were spoken next by someone who was well meaning have been playing over and over in my head since the moment they were spoken -- "It's just a song."

Those of you reading this are probably thinking the same thing. However, all of you know that songs get stuck in our heads (and hearts). I mean, if I were to ask you what your favorite song is, you could probably sing it word for word, and just the mention of the song causes it to be stuck in your head for hours (or days). I know that during my quiet time I will often read Scripture that will make me think of a song or hymn or psalm that will then be on my mind and heart for the next few days. Just yesterday I made those riding in my car with me to lunch listen to "In Christ Alone" no less than six times because it went so beautifully with the sermon that Jared preached on Galations 3:15-26. Songs are an important part of our spiritual walk. They express our feelings of love and gratitude to God through the gift of music that He has given us.

In Ephesians 5:19-20, we are told of the importance of corporate worship. As a church, we are to speak to each other through songs, hymns, and psalms. Does that mean that we walk around looking like a musical with only songs coming out of our mouths? I hope not because there are some voices (and mine is included in this category) that only sound pretty to God and can only be classified as a joyful noise! Instead, I think that the verses mean that we should take the opportunity in corporate worship to speak to each other through the songs that are chosen. This means that we should preach to each other through song and exhort each other through song. I know that I have a hard time singing so many of the songs that are focused on myself. I think that as a church, we should sing things like "Open the eyes of our heart Lord" instead of "Open the eyes of my heart, Lord" because that takes the focus off of self and places it on the purpose of the church. We should sing songs focused on God, who He is, and what He has done for us. I think that we should carefully examine a song to see its purpose before singing a song that has I, me, my, etc. in it.

My views of music also lead me to like hymns in corporate worship more than choruses (with the exception of the chorus that are directly from the Psalms or Revelations -- a little heavenly choir practice is fine with me!). Many of you are probably inclined to make fun of me right now (because I have heard you make fun of people, especially those in the younger generation, who like hymns), but I think that those who make fun are probably not really reading the words on the screen or in the book so that the truths can be branded in their minds and hearts. I know that as a child, one of my favorite hymns was Holy, Holy, Holy. As a child, I learned important truths about God by singing this song -- the concept of the Trinity, the eternality of God, the fact that we must worship God for who He is, etc. Therefore, I think that it is important to remember that we can teach those sitting in the congregation doctrine and theology through our songs. A song I mentioned before, In Christ Alone, teaches so much about the work of Christ.

Some of you that know me well (and know some of the songs mentioned) are probably thinking, but isn't one of your favorites also It is Well with My Soul and doesn't In Christ Alone start out "In Christ alone my hope is found"? Like I said earlier, we should examine the songs that contain these words. Here is what I think. These songs enable us to exhort others in the congregation when we are able to sing them out to God. When we go through trials, we need to me reminded of the personal testimony of others who have gone before us and were able to say "When peace like a river attendeth my way." We need to proclaim to a lost world (some of whom are sitting in our church services) that Christ is our personal hope.

Some of you also might be saying that David is very personal in some of the Psalms, and if those were made into songs, it probably would go against what I am saying right now. I think that type of music has a place in my personal time alone with God. I think that there are songs that can help me voice prayers to God when I have a hard time putting words to what I am feeling. I think that it is perfectly fine for me, in a time of personal worship before God, to sing out for Him to open my eyes.

Having given my view of songs and their proper place, I am finally going to reach my main point. Songs that are not theologically or doctrinally sound have no place in the church or in our personal lives. We should be Berean about the songs we sing, not just the material that we teach and use in Bible study. We must remember that there are children and unbelievers in our congregations that do not need to be deceived by the music we are singing. There are children and unbelievers that do not need to be deceived by the music we play on the radio. Our own hearts need to be guarded against false teaching and unsound doctrine. Too many in the church choose their music based upon how easy it is to learn, the type of beat it has, whether it is peppy enough for them, etc. instead of basing their opinion of music on the words contained in the song. I don't know how many times I have heard that someone liked the special music at church (although usually the singer does a good job of singing the material), but it stirs up uncomfort in my heart because the words are not sound. I know that many people would tell me to lighten up a little, "It's just a song," but that is not how we should look at music that we are singing while worshiping God. Our goal is not to play on the emotions of those listening. Our goal should be to sing praises to our Heavenly Father, to exalt His name as He prepares our hearts to hear His truth. This cannot be done by playing on the congregation's emotions (although emotions may be involved because we are emotional creatures) or on the musical likes of those in the congregation, but by singing songs that are meant to teach and to exhort during the time of worship for the glory of God.

I encourage those that have an opportunity to pick songs for corporate worship to really think the songs through before the songs are sung. Also, for those of us sitting in the congregation that have a hard time singing some of the songs, change the words a bit to enable yourself to worship God. I know those around me probably look at me funny when I sing "Open the eyes of our heart," but that is what enables me to focus on our purpose as a church and to glorify God in my singing praises to Him. So the next time you are sitting near me and hear me change the words, I promise I can read what is on the screen!

No comments: