Monday, October 19, 2009

Countdown to 30: Day 26

My parents moved me from Texarkana before my second grade year, and I still have not forgiven them from moving me away from Texarkana. OK, maybe I have (notice, it is a maybe), but the years in Fort Worth did shape who I am today.

My parents had a good reason for moving me. My daddy knew that he was called to the ministry and he was being obedient to God in attending seminary in Fort Worth. It was quite a move of faith for my family though. The relationships that we had in Texarkana were deep. I had to leave my second mother, Ms. Brenda (who took care of me even before I was born); my favorite Sunday school teacher, Mrs. Crystal (no one else compared to her); my favorite teacher, Mrs. Gentry; a good school; an even better church; and the only home I had ever known. It was traumatic.

Our family had to depend on God for everything while we were in Fort Worth. At the time my brother and I probably did not know how much we were depending on God, but my parents have continued to tell stories of God’s provision during the time that we were in Fort Worth. Our family had to depend on God for payment of unexpected bills, clothes and shoes for me and my brother, payment of tuition, Christmas gifts, everything. People from Texarkana were obedient to provide for our family when we were in need.

When I have a need, I usually recall how God was faithful to provide when we were in Fort Worth, and that enables me to have the faith in God to provide in the current situation. I also believe that seeing the generosity of others during that time has made me more generous when I see someone in need or feel God’s Spirit urging me to meet a need. Although I still sort of wish that we had never moved away from Texarkana, I can now see how God used that move to teach me to depend on Him, even through hearing of the stories of provision. Plus, God has allowed me to return to the place that I have always felt is home.

No comments: