Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Countdown to 30: Day 25

I decided to attend Baylor University for my undergraduate studies because I wanted to go to law school there. I made the decision without really considering the cost of the university. I even determined to attend without visiting the campus. The decision to attend Baylor has shaped me in several ways.

First, I let God lead me to where I needed to be trusting that He would provide. Of course I am paying a ton of my salary to student loans now, but it was still worth it to spend seven years in Waco and to create friendships that last to the present. There were times where I was not sure I would have enough money to get what I needed, but God always provided. I also learned how to give sacrificially during that time because I could not afford to tithe, yet I cannot think of any time that I did not tithe without making it up in the next month or two.

Second, I learned a lot about myself during my years at Baylor. You really decide who and what you are going to become when you leave your parents. It was one of the first tests of my faith when I had to really decide if I believed in God like I said that I did. I had many tests of my salvation, and my faith remained intact providing me with assurance of what I knew had occurred as a child. There were many trials over the seven years that I was there, including roommate issues, thesis advisor issues, national crises, money issues, fires in my apartment complex, to name a few. Each trial confirmed my faith in God.

Third, I realized that my love for children had to be incorporated into my adult life somehow. I worked at a daycare for five of the seven years (even though some of that time was subbing and not really regular). I love children. I love working with children. I am a natural at working with children. I am a lawyer. Lawyers do not typically work with children. However, my years spent at the daycare taught me how to be a minister to people with children and how to talk to children. Now I am able to use that experience to represent children in abuse and neglect cases in the courtroom. Also, I am almost always available to babysit for my friends who have children. Finally, my church figured out I am good with children and I am currently teaching in the preschool three year old Sunday school class.

The college years are formative times for almost anyone who moves away from home. I am glad I chose Baylor. The environment was right for me. I plugged into a local church. I confirmed my faith by continuing to experience spiritual growth. There is so much more that could be said about Baylor and my years spent in Waco, and maybe it will make another appearance on this countdown, but for now, these are my brief thoughts as I reflect on my Baylor years.

No comments: