Thursday, June 11, 2009

Jesus Storybook Bible

I have not made any reading recommendations in a while, in part because I am halfway through about six books right now because I cannot seem to just pick one up and read it all the way through. However, I do have a recommendation, especially for parents of young children or to give as a gift at a baby shower.

I bought little guy the Jesus Storybook Bible and gave it to him and his daddy when I was in New Orleans a few weeks ago. Before handing it over, I spent time reading the book to little. I believe that it is important to read books to children early (even as early as the five months old that he was at the time), and it is even more important to start reading them books about God and Jesus and the gospel. I am very impressed with this book. It does a great job of making it clear to children (and to the parents reading it-part of the reason it was a necessary addition to little guy's library) that the Bible is one big story with Jesus as the main character and the plan of redemption of God's people as the main plot. The author does a wonderful job of building the anticipation of Jesus' birth by referring to Him throughout the various old testament stories through various names other than Jesus. At first, I was unsure of the illustrations, but I have to say that the illustrations absolutely captivated little guy. He sat quietly listening to everything and had a new sense of wonder each time that I turned the page. The book is recommended for ages 4+, but I think it is not a bad idea to start reading it to children earlier than four years old. Consider making this book a regular gift to babies in your life (and a regular read for your own children).

Here is a link to another review of the book.

No comments: