Friday, June 12, 2009

Farmers' Market Update

As some of you might recall, I was pretty excited about the Farmers' Market opening behind my office. Yesterday was the first day I made it a point to go over to the market. I am pretty pleased with what I came away with. I love squash, so that was what I was looking for mainly out of the trip. Almost every grower had squash. One grower had blackberries that looked absolutely delicious. Therefore, I went with the grower who had blackberries. I bought a basket of squash (about 8-10 small squash) and a pint of blackberries for $5. I had looked at squash at Walmart two days before, and I came away with a steal compared to the Walmart prices.

Since I had a pint of blackberries, I had to make something that would fit into my toaster oven (since my big oven doesn't work right now and needs to be replaced) using the blackberries. I decided to make blackberry crisp since it is simple and you can play around with the recipe to make it fit into the small pan.
It was so good!!! It just needed a little scoop of ice cream to go with it to be perfect. I didn't really follow the recipe, but used it more for inspiration and proportions and cooking time/temp, but here is a good, simple recipe for blackberry crisp. The plus to this recipe is that I had all the ingredients on hand and it took hardly any time to put together. Now I need to find some good blueberries, and try them out with the same recipe - with some Bluebell Homeade Vanilla on the side of course!

No comments: