Friday, June 19, 2009

30 Day Shred


I started working out about the middle of March, and at some point realized that the Gazelle wasn't going to fully get me into shape, although it was a good start. I highly recommend the Gazelle (eventually with leg and arm weights) for a workout that is easy on the joints and gets you started exercising. I was not really looking at what to use to step up my workouts, but one day I ran across this blog about the 30 Day Shred. After reading the blogs and the comments for the next few weeks, I decided to buy the DVD and step the exercising up a notch. It is put out by Jilliam Michaels, a trainer on the Biggest Loser. I have heard that the winner of the Biggest Loser is always someone who has been trained by Jillian Michaels, so she must know what she is doing!

This DVD is a tough workout (or really three tough workouts)! Yet it was not too hard on my bad knee. I did have problems in about week three with my good knee, and I had to start modifying the exercises a little bit, although my modifications made the exercises tougher because I was doing a static stance while working the arms instead of popping in and out of the movement. Or at least Jillian says the static is tougher. My quads also agreed and are shaped quite nicely now complete with a line down the side that I have not had since I played basketball in high school. There are three levels that gradually get harder as you progress. Level one became easier (it has never been easy) after the first week, so I progressed to level two. Level two did not become easier until after two, almost three, weeks. By then, my knee was pretty swollen and I watched level three and incorporated the strength exercises and ab exercises from level three with the cardio in level one (but adding hand weights). I tried not to skip days and only went three days without exercising at all, and two days doing the gazelle because of my knee issue, so it took me a little longer than 30 days. I had figured out that I need to exercise seven days a week instead of taking any breaks prior to starting the 30 days, so I did the DVD every day.

So far I am pleased with the results. My arms are on their way to being very toned (the only equipment needed for the workout is arm weights and a mat) and I am considering increasing the weight on the arm weights. My legs are toned. My clothes are fitting better. I sleep better at night. I hopefully won't die from a stress related heart attack at 40 now! I feel worse if I do not exercise in the mornings than if I do exercise. I recommend this DVD for exercise because it is set up to where you see results quick and it only takes right at 30 minutes from start to finish. Even though I was skeptical of the effectiveness of a DVD workout, I am impressed with this one!

No comments: