Monday, March 10, 2008

New Mortal Sins

It is days like today that I am proud to be a Protestant.  I am proud to follow God instead of a pope.  I am proud that I can live my life according to the Bible instead of a church leader's determination of right and wrong.  I guess that the pope reevaluates the list of mortal sins periodically, and adds to it where he sees fit.  Now, last time I checked, all sin was "mortal" meaning leading to death. I know that the Catholics believe that some sins must be confessed prior to death or bad things will happen, but I am not going to pretend to be an expert on the subject.  Personally, I thought that there were still seven deadly sins that the Catholic church believed in.  Now the pope has added polluting the earth and genetic manipulation to the list of deadly sins.  I guess if you are in an ambulance being taken to the hospital dying of whatever, you need to confess that before dying because but for your illness, the ambulance would not be polluting.  I don't have as much of a problem with the genetic manipulation thing, although I think it is silly to update the mortal sins.  I am glad that I believe in a God of grace who does not require the work of confession, but uses our faithfulness to confess to lead to sanctification.  Sola scriptura!

No comments: