Thursday, February 14, 2008

An Unquiet Mind

Recently I read a book called An Unquiet Mind: A Memoir of Moods and Madnessby Kay Redfield Jamison.  This book was recommended to me and loaned to me by my pastor.  I can honestly say that I did not understand anything about people who suffer from manic depression (also known as bipolar) before reading this book, although I thought that I knew something about the disease.  Now I realize that I cannot comprehend this disorder because I do not suffer from it.

Jamison specializes in the study of mood disorders, bringing a scientific side to the book, but also suffers from manic depressive disorder.  The story is her memoir about her struggle with the disease, acceptance of the diagnosis, acceptance of necessary treatment, and the professional implications for her.  I had no idea the type of struggle that persons suffering from this disorder go through.  I know that I go through bouts of increased energy and decreased sleep (usually associated with the consumption of too much caffeine!), but I had no idea that persons suffering from this disorder will go through days, weeks, months of little or no sleep.  No wonder the body and mind finally gives out and enters into an extended depression.  The increased energy is often accompanied by increased impulsiveness, which leads to depression when the person realizes the bind that he or she has entered into financially or emotionally.  I know that I have times where I find it hard to concentrate, but to go through years where it is difficult to concentrate long enough to read is unimaginable for me.  

Part of the draw of this book is that it is written so that unscientific minds can catch a glimpse of a world that is difficult to understand.  The first few parts of the book read like Faulkner novel with proper grammar.  Jamison as a writer has the ability to draw you into her story, her life in a way that keeps the reader engaged.  Even the final part of the book that enters more into the scientific aspect of the disease, diagnosis, believed causes, treatments, is not so hard to read that you need a scientific education to understand.  I found the book to be a quick read with very few passages that drag.

The book is not written by someone who professes to be a Christian or lives her life as if she is a Christian.  Some views and lifestyle choices are out of line with my beliefs.  However, I was pleased to find passages against the selective abortion of babies that have the "gene" identified to be associated with bipolar disease and other disorders because of the contribution to society that many with this disorder are able to provide.  This is part of the reason that she is reluctant for scientist to identify the genetic marker for bipolar disease.  I think that it is encouraging to see someone in the scientific community who is able to see that selective abortion is wrong and has the potential of depriving society of some of its diversity, creativity, personality.  Too many in the scientific community promote the eradication of unwanted genes (i.e. Down's Syndrome) because those that do not "suffer" from the disease/disorder/syndrome make the determination that the detriments of the irregularity do not outweigh the benefits to the person or to society.

I definitely recommend reading this book.  It is brutally honest at times, although I thought presented in a tasteful way.  From what I read, Jamison could have shared more details or been more brutal while being honest, but she presented enough detail to get the point across without losing any of her dignity.  She made her life an open book for all to read, but retained some of her privacy while doing it.  After reading the book, I probably know more about the disorder, yet understand less (or realize that I understand less).  I cannot imagine what it must be like to be like to be unable to exercise any self-control.  Also, after reading the book, I don't think I know anyone with the disorder, but maybe since it seems that Jamison was able to hide the turmoil raging inside of herself although having outward manifestations.  The book is educational and enlightening.

No comments: