Tuesday, September 18, 2007

More on Corporate Worship

A random thought has been bouncing around in my head for the past few weeks since starting this contemplation of worship.  What does it matter what is going on in public worship if I am still able to worship God individually in the midst of it?  I have heard that from some people, and have thought about it myself as I recently spent a worship service that was focused on self more than God.  In fact, I used to hear that we should just close our eyes and focus on Jesus and have a one-on-one with Him during the service.  So isn't that what I should do?

After thinking it through and not being satisfied with that answer, I went back to Ephesians and determined that it DOES matter what goes on in corporate worship, and failure to recognize that results in worship that IS NOT pleasing to God.  Ephesians is very clear on the matter of corporate worship.  It is to be God focused, scripturally based, teaching and exhorting the believers.  Corporate worship is to be a witness of the manifold wisdom of God to show the world that all of our diverse backgrounds, experiences, personalities, etc. have been united in Christ and stand before God as one body.  The focus is not on the individual and the individual's relationship to God (although that will be something that is strengthened through the practice of corporate worship).  We, as the body of Christ, as the temple of God, as children of the King, are to be a witness to not only the physical world but the spiritual world.  We should be singing songs that proclaim who God is and what He has done for us.  

God has given us instructions on how to worship Him.  It is clear in His word how He wants us to act when we come together corporately to worship Him.  Therefore, anything that deviates from what He has prescribed for worship is sin.  I think that if our leaders (the church as a whole, not just my church) truly understood that, and understood that every aspect of the service is to be a teaching moment (making them teachers, and therefore subjecting them to higher accountability), and any deviation from God's way of worship would result in leading the congregation to sin, then worship leaders might take their responsibility more seriously.  Just look at the Minor Prophets to see how displeased God is when the people do not worship Him as He has directed that He be worshipped.  (Also, look at the Minor Prophets to see that He doesn't want the framework of worship to be right without the proper heart of worship behind it.)  If we are to worship corporately, it is not pleasing to God for us to worship individually in place of corporate worship.  He does not want our sacrifice, but our obedience.

So what is the answer?  What should I do when I am sitting in "worship" services that are not worshipping in the way that God has directed?  I am still not sure yet.  I know that it breaks my heart to see the church thinking they are worshipping when they are not.  I know that it breaks my heart to see individuals who are trying to offer individual worship to God when it should be an act of corporate worship instead.  I know that I am encouraged by songs that are appropriate for corporate worship, which enable me, as a member of the body of Christ, to engage in corporate worship and be exhorted.  I know that I am encouraged by leaders who do take the worship service and planning of the worship service seriously and really do try to make it biblical.  I think that there may be a time and place to confront leaders on the choices made for worship, but I know that I am not prepared to do it because I haven't really prepared a defense using scripture that can be given in love.  I know that I need to pray for the leaders in my church and especially to pray that the Holy Spirit will teach them and guide them to understand corporate worship and what God desires because it is only clear when the Holy Spirit makes it clear.  True change happens only when the Holy Spirit makes it happen.  Please join with me in praying for the leaders of your church, wherever you may attend, as they lead the body of Christ in corporate worship.  

The final thing that I feel needs to be mentioned is that there is not going to be a perfect worship service here on this earth.  However, we can strive for perfection (just as we are to strive for God's perfection in our individual lives).  Noticing the imperfection helps us look forward to a day when our worship will be perfect.  Oh how we should long for the day when the complete body of Christ will stand before the throne and worship with a pure, genuine, true worship forever!

No comments: