Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Dear Jesse Jackson

Dear Jesse Jackson,

I am not a racist.  I think I have to say that up front because you seem to think that all white people are.  However, I believe that it is because of people like you that racism still exists in America.  You forget that you are the face that white America sees as a representative of African-Americans.  You try to make every issue a racial issue, leading Americans to become tired of the race card being played.  You contribute to the lack of publicity (or at least the public ignorance) of issues such as the Jena 6 because you cry wolf with the race card too often.  Please stop hurting your fellow Americans by trying to divide instead of unite.  Please stop hurting your fellow African-Americans by portraying the ethnicity as a whole in the manner that you do.

Further proof that you are doing nothing but causing division is the recent allegation that you said Barrack O'Bama acts too white (or something along those lines).  I don't know what "acting white" means although I have heard it said many times in the African-American community.  I thought you want equal treatment.  I thought you do not want for people to look at an African-American any differently than they would look at a white person, or Hispanic-American, or Asian-American, or _______________-American (and you can fill in the blank).  Yet you are expecting them to act differently?  I am not an O'Bama supporter (although I would vote for Collin Powell if he would run for president), but I do think that he is portraying African-Americans in a positive way that may contribute to the eradication of some racism.  Let him continue.  I don't think he is "acting white."  From what I can tell, he is "acting American."  Why don't we leave the labels at that?

No comments: