Thursday, June 7, 2007

Christian Biographies

I constantly read. My favorite books (right now) are books on Christian doctrine and theology. However, I am discovering the importance of reading about the lives of men that have lived over the years. Part of how we grow spiritually is by studying doctrine and comparing the words of men with the Word of God. However, another way that we grow spiritually is by looking at the lives of men. It is through studying these lives that we see "our common salvation" (Jude 3) and characteristics of that salvation lived out in lives. The Bible is a great example of this as we read of the lives of men such as Joseph, who came to an understanding of the sovereignty of God through his adversity, and Abraham, who came to a saving faith because God chose him. We see David, who struggled with sin and yet gives us an example of true Biblical repentance as he mourned over his sins. I could go on and on as the Bible portrays the lives of great men throughout redemptive history.

I am learning it is important not just to read about the men in the Bible, but to read Christian biographies of those who have lived since the Bible was written. The first biography I have decided to pick up is by Jonathan Edwards concerning the life of David Brainerd using David Brainerd's own journals to provide most of the content. As Edwards points out in his introduction, we need to see the lives of these men so that we can understand our own faith and salvation. As I read through portions of Brainerd's journal entries, I am seeing things that are similar to my own experiences, and other things that I strive to incorporate into my own life (such as more dedication to prayer). It is a rare glimpse into the mind of a person who lived long ago, but yet received the same saving grace of God that I have received. You see days of victory and defeat that remind us that we are constantly in a struggle between flesh and the Holy Spirit within us. I haven't read very far into the book, but I am captivated by the spiritual walk and growth that seems to mirror my own even though our life experiences are so different. God, in His grace, allows us to look at others to see the common salvation.

On a side note, I have not tried to be politically correct nor do I have a desire to be (in case someone other than those who know me sees this and jumps to all sorts of conclusions). Many of the great Christian biographies are of men because men are the leaders in the church. However, many of these great biographies also contain women who supported the men, such as mothers and wives and sisters and spiritual support within the Christian community.

No comments: