Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Haiti

If you are like me, you often want to help when you see a tragedy like the earthquake in Haiti, but you often do not know the best way to help. Since I believe that money should be sent to persons that already have relationships with the people on the ground and to places where I know it is going to be put to good use, I offer these two options for everyone to consider.

First, our office employed a legal assistant who is now a missionary to Haiti. Here is the e-mail that one of my colleagues sent out:

Dear friends,

News reports from Haiti show that there has been tremendous damage and loss of life in Haiti.

As you may know one of our former legal assistants Darlynn Hon is a missionary in Haiti working at an orphanage.

Prior to the earthquake Darlynn indicated to me that the living conditions were poor and basic food and water needs were barely being met.

One can only imagine the conditions now and I anticipate that the conditions will be poor for a long time.

We have contacted Darlynn Hon's church "Church on the Rock" in Texarkana, Texas and they stated that they are accepting donations in the name of "Church on the Rock" with a memo of "Haiti missions." They indicated to us that they intend to send support as soon as they can. If you wish to make any contributions I'm sure they will be appreciated. You can contact Church on the Rock directly at 1601 Mall Drive, Texarkana, Texas 75503.

Also, Compassion International is a wonderful organization that I currently donate to for support of two children living in poverty. Compassion has ongoing ministries in Haiti, and is accepting donations designated specifically for disaster relief. Here is the link to donate.

No comments: