Friday, August 14, 2009

Whale Wars

One of the most awesome shows I have watched on TV recently is Whale Wars. Although the show is probably intended to make people want to go stop the whalers, it has the exact opposite effect on me - I cheer the whalers on. Those trying to "save" the whales do stupid things like throw acid on the already dead whale so the meat cannot be sold. Isn't that counterproductive? Taking actions such as that one results in the whalers being able to justify more whales being killed. Tonight's episode showed the butchering of a whale which I found fascinating and the hunting down and killing of a whale. I was impressed with the harpoon shot that sealed the fate of the whale. It was one of the most incredible things I have seen in TV. It was like a combination of fishing and hunting. The people against whaling were crying like they watched a human get killed which made them look like idiots while the Japanese looked impressive.

I do not know the rules of whaling. I do not know what is and is not against the law. I think the whalers should play by the rules, and if they are breaking them, there should be consequences. If they are playing by the rules, go for it! I find the show more entertaining when a whale is killed than when there is not a kill. I guess that means I am cheering for the bad guys, but using the whales as food and income instead of making the dead whales unusable seems to make more sense and be more honorable ... So long as laws are not being broken.

No comments: