Thursday, August 27, 2009

Blog of the Week - Let the Nations Be Glad

I read this blog post and watched the video embedded in it last week. After watching it and watching the entertainment focused musical act that was at my own church this last Sunday*, I could not help but think that God's ears were more pleased by the autistic boy and his simple act of worship (and the worship that he caused to flow out of my heart watching it) than by the show we put on. Let the Nations Be Glad is a wonderful blog that often highlights gospel efforts to the physically and mentally disabled all over the world. How precious they are in His sight!

* Chad, you will have to forgive me for the comparison, but as I sat in church Sunday, I was really wishing I had not watched the video and thought about expressions of worship all last week. Or maybe it was a good thing that I did because it kept me from being entertained and made me more appreciative of purer forms of worship. I am not sure! I was lacking in humility and sufficiently convicted of that on Sunday :).

1 comment:

cedgington said...

That was a really touching video. I watched the other video that blog linked as well.

Today our Singin' Saints went out to the Opportunities' Inc. Adult Day Care and sang for a large group of elderly and mentally retarded people. The expressions on the faces were so sweet as we sang along, and they always are. I'm always struck at how "pure" those musical expressions come across in those types of settings.

I feel the same way when we sing sweet songs in our living room with Adelade.

I believe I totally understand the comparison you are making, but I wouldn't worry too much about that service, but rather focus on the beauty of the tamborine worship. The truth of the matter is that not everybody will consider that video to be as beautiful as you did.

One of the challenges of corporate worship is to make the elements accessible to everyone without compromise.