Thursday, April 23, 2009

Why I prefer Christian hip-hop over Christian rock

As some of you readers know by now, I spent some time this week at Freedom Experience, which included a Christian hip-hop artist and a Christian rock band. I am not sure that my hearing will ever recover. I did not mind the Christian hip-hop, but I was not a fan of the Christian rock.

I believe that Christian music is most glorifying to God when it is teaching instead of entertaining. I think that music must be entertaining (to an extent) to glorify God because boring music, even if teaching, will not benefit the listener. Talent is also nice, but neither talent nor entertainment is the primary purpose.

Since teaching should be the primary purpose, I also want to point out that it should not take much to teach truth in song. However, the more truth that a song contains, the more potential you have to teach those around you the truth. I think that Christian music is important because it does teach truth to people who do not understand concepts until they sing about them. For example, many children are able to accept the reality of the Trinity as truth because of singing Holy, Holy, Holy as a child ("God in three persons, blessed Trinity"). Although it may be a concept not understood, it can be accepted as truth when it becomes part of the church conversation, even in song.

I think that both Christian hip-hop and Christian rock have the potential to teach through song. However, I think that Christian hip-hop may be a more effective medium to teaching truth through song. First, rap is a lyric driven music form with the beats taking a backseat to the words of the artist. Rappers are gifted at telling stories in a form that is catchy, quick, but packed full of truth. Second, if you listen hard enough, you can understand the rapper (usually without getting a headache). Although it is fast paced, and therefore hard for some people to catch what is said, many Christian rappers are presenting pure truth in a format that is gifted and entertaining. Third, that type of lyrical flow takes pure talent. I believe that it is a God-given talent, and I am pleased to see young men using that talent to glorify God. Fourth, many of the young men who are rappers are going to seminary or involving themselves in intense Bible study so that they can make sure that what they are presenting is true. These men are committed to biblical music and are concerned that their lyrics are true. This shows me that they understand that they can fulfill their purpose of glorifying God best by teaching through music.

I think that I have been listening to the wrong Christian rock bands, and maybe that is why I am not a huge fan of their music. First, I cannot understand them. The instruments are drowning out the lyrics (even the best secular rock bands know the importance of not allowing the instruments to drown out the lyrics!). The screaming instead of singing makes it hard to discern what is said. How can you teach if the audience cannot understand your words? Maybe I have not trained my ears to hear the words in Christian rock as well as I have in Christian rap, but honestly, the screaming gives me a headache. Second, there is a lack of depth in most songs. A song can be deep and filled with truth without many words (Just Give Me Jesus comes to mind - not Christian rock, but just an example of a simple, truth-filled song). Some songs are shallow with a lot of words (including some Christian hip-hop songs). Most Christian rock songs seem to be in the middle (number of words-wise), yet lacking in deep spiritual truths. I will confess that maybe I am missing the deep spiritual truth because I cannot understand what is being said. Third, I am sure that some do, but I do not hear Christian rock artists speaking things that indicate depth in their own spiritual lives. Part of teaching is training others to follow your example in being committed to learning more about God. I hear Christian rock artists talk a lot about experience (although the group this week did not - so this is not a complaint about their presentation), but not enough about the importance of God's word. Finally, most Christian rock artists incorporate very little of God's word into their music. The best way to convey truths about God is to include how God revealed Himself through His word.

I know that people can point to one or more of these points and say "What about ___________, they do not do this or they do that?" I think that the main point that I am trying to make is that Christians should be discerning in choosing music. Just as discernment is required when listening to teaching and preaching, it is required when listening to music. If there is something theologically incorrect in a song, we should train ourselves to catch it. We cannot allow entertainment to excuse us from the duty that all Christians have to discern. If the audience is more discerning, and encouraging musicians to teach truth over entertainment (but while remaining entertaining), then the quality of Christian music, hip-hop, rock, or otherwise, will improve to a level far above what we currently have available to listen to. I encourage believers to be active instead of passive listeners. Hold musicians accountable for what they sing. Encourage those singing truth. Finally, enjoy music because it is a gift from God.

1 comment:

Josh said...

I agree that talent is not the primary purpose of music, because it does not make any logical sense to state it that way. If one were to suggest that the primary purpose of music is to "display talent" (must quote because I can't italicize), that would be more of a value statement. and more open to debate.

But that nuance aside, I think talent is a major requirement for good music, whatever the relation between talent and purpose. In fact, the distiction you are making between types of music is probably a false difference. If you control for the talent factor, you might come out thinking that rock and hip hop are equally effective or ineffective to teach.

And if we believe that truth (which is presumably what you want to be taught) is multifacted and experienced in a variety of ways, we would expect that it should be communicated (taught) in as many ways. There are aspects of hip hop that lend it to expressing certain types of truth in certain ways, as there are aspects of rock that lend it to others. (And it would be wrong to overlook folk, jazz, country, blues, etc.) One can imagine a certain lyrical line sung in a hip hop style and in a rock style, but being more palpable and palatable in one style than in another.

I realize your post was intentioanlly limited to only two types of music though, so the multi-genre comment is just a bonus comment.