Monday, March 30, 2009

Big Deal

I am a little overdue in announcing that one of my New Orleans boys was accepted last week to college! He was accepted to Texarkana College, which some of you may think is not a big deal since they accept anyone with a high school education or GED. However, to this family, it is a huge deal. Pop's brother is one of the two boys murdered last year. He has another brother that is currently in jail awaiting trial on various charges due to his participation in a drive by shooting. Neither of his brothers graduated from high school (although the one murdered may have been enrolled in high school at the time of his death). High school graduation is a big deal for the kids at the Center. I cannot wait to attend Pop's high school graduation on May 22nd. I will be one of the handful of white people (probably all there to see Pop graduate) with a huge smile on my face and probably tears in my eyes. Fortunately, I usually remember to pack the eye make-up for touch-ups before the after graduation pictures. I really cannot wait for him to start college, whether that is at Texarkana College or somewhere else. Pop is one of the reasons that those of us who go to the Center do what we do. You can see the change that God has worked in his life that is a picture of what God's salvation can do for these kids. I am happy for Pop and for his family who are as excited as they can be about him being accepted to college. He will be applying (hopefully) to a few more that are like Texarkana College, but located in Louisiana, so he should be getting a few more acceptance letters. Sometimes I think that children that grow up in families where education is expected do not realize that education is a big deal. Getting into college is a big deal. Especially when graduating from high school is such a big deal. Congratulations Pop!!!

No comments: