Thursday, January 17, 2008

Blog of the Week - Jesus Creed

Now upfront, I want to point out that I rarely agree with this week's blog of the week theologically.  I do not have any desire whatsoever to read the books that he suggests to read (for the most part).  I do not support his theological views or his views on how to do church.  All of that may leave you wondering why this blog would even be a blog of the week for me.  The answer is quite simple.  Through this blog, I have been able to learn quite a bit about the emerging church and the leaders of the emerging church from one of their own.  I think it is important to see what they are saying about themselves.  

Some of the blog posts are quite helpful as reminders that we are on the same team as some of the emerging church (I am not quite sure that all in the leadership of the movement are Christian, but that is an argument for another day).  Additionally, by reading this blog, I am encouraged to think through what I believe, why I believe, and how it differs from what he is saying.  The blogger also summarizes books that I do not wish to waste my time reading (because some of them are by authors that differ on first tier theological issues - also a topic for another day), but it is helpful to be informed about what is contained in the books.  By reading what someone who endorses the books reads, I am better able to understand where someone I may come in contact with is coming from who has read the book.  

I would suggest reading this blog only if you are grounded in your theological beliefs so that you are not tossed to and fro by every wind of doctrine.  I would also suggest reading this blog as a reminder that there is diversity in the body of Christ.

No comments: