Thursday, November 12, 2009

Countdown to 30: Day 2

I am having to learn about forgiveness because of Guy's death. When I arrived back in New Orleans the night it happened, I was informed that one of the suspects was a boy who used to go to the Center. At one time I was very close to this boy and his brothers. Their picture was out for all to see at my house. My photo albums were filled with pictures of this boy. I would consider myself closer to him when he was a kid than to Guy. I did not know that this boy was even back in New Orleans.

It is hard enough to deal with the death of a friend. It is even harder when the death is a murder and the friend is so young. It becomes almost impossible when you are faced with the possibility that someone you know and love could be responsible for the murder of someone else you know and love. I am not even sure that I can begin to put it into words. One thing that I did know was that I would have to forgive this boy even if I never know whether or not he participated in the drive by shooting or took the shot that killed Guy. I do not know if I will ever see the boy again (it has been about three or four years since I have seen him I think), but if I do, I will have to show the love of God to him. Anger and bitterness are not going to do either one of us any good.

I am often in the neighborhood where the boy stays. I admit that I am often looking for him. Part of me wants to see him just to see how I would react. Part of me wants to avoid him. I can look at his pictures now. Maybe that is just a tiny step towards forgiveness. I remind myself that the sin he committed against Guy and Guy's family and friends is so small and insignificant compared to the sin that I commit against a holy and righteous God. It helps to put the sin in perspective that way when working through forgiveness.

No comments: