Tuesday, September 22, 2009

My Favorite Season

We are now in the midst of my favorite season - Football Season! Last year I was not as impressed with the start of football season. I was not entertained. It took a while for the big games to come, and my teams were not doing all that great (except for a defeat of OU), and even the NFL had lost some of its charm for me. Towards January I was no longer watching my favorite sport of all time, and I had very little interest in the Super Bowl and the NCAA Championship game. It was like I had taken a year off from my favorite sport since the season was riddled by disappointments. It was depressing.

This year has started out very different from last season. I am once again excited about my favorite sport. I am once again entertained by the skill of the players on the field. I think that time off from the sport created a greater sense of expectation for this year's season. I still skipped watching most of the preseason games because I do not find those entertaining, but I sat mesmerized the first weekend of the college football season. Then came the Michigan-Notre Dame game. Then came the Texas-Texas Tech game. Then the Mannings showed why every team wants a Manning as a quarterback in the 4th quarter and clutch kickers just in case the Manning cannot find the end-zone but can get within reach. I am once again addicted to football. Teams I hate are losing, teams I love are winning (at least sometimes - Baylor and Houston still have some issues to work out!). The TV schedule for games has been great even if we had to watch Oklahoma State instead of Baylor because apparently the national programers think that people in our area would prefer to watch OSU lose than to watch Baylor win (but my iPhone let me keep up with the Baylor game ok enough). I am once again excited about football. After last season I was beginning to wonder if I would ever be a fan again. I am glad that I once again have football to use as a stress relief! I still refuse, however, to allow football to dictate my schedule - except the Texas-OU and the Texas-Texas A & M game of course!

No comments: