Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Blogs of the Week - Photo Blogs

There are three photo blogs that I frequent at least once a day because of the humorous daily additions.

Awkward Family Photos - This is a great site because it usually involves pictures of families that are just plain weird. Be careful about viewing the Saturday Night Specials. Some of those entries are a bit risque. As a side note, my church's youth minister and his family's photo will be included in a book to be published by the website next year. His son threw a temper tantrum while the photograph was trying to take a picture for the church directory, and the results were amusing to everyone but the family! (Unfortunately the picture was not published in the directory but I am glad to see that it will reach a much broader audience.

Sexy People - This site leaves you to provide any commentary. I like how it allows the pictures to speak for themselves. It is nostalgic too because if you are like me, you remember many of the same backgrounds and clothing styles that these normal people were wearing at the time of the photographs. The expressions on the faces of the kid photos are often priceless.

People of Wal-mart - I often laugh, cringe, and feel a wave of nausea when viewing the photos on this site, but it is definitely entertaining. I do have three gripes about this site. (1) The commentary provided by the administrators of the website and those submitting the photos can be PG-13 or R rated at times including language, and even downright cruel. (2) The photos often contain offensive material, but, then again, these people are shopping at a neighborhood Wal-mart dressed that way or parking in the parking lot, so it isn't worse than what you might see on a trip to Wal-mart. (3) The administrators update too many times in a day on some days. Seriously guys, give me one or two pictures a day or it becomes overkill. It also keeps the suspense as a low whereas one or two posts a day would make me anticipate the next day's photo that much more (and probably make it more enjoyable).

I do realize that some people will find these sites repulsive because the sole purpose really is to laugh at the way people look. I think that even those people should frequent the sites though. Why? Because you need to make sure that none of your enemies submits a photo of you! Trust me, I have many photos that those who wanted to ruin my day could submit to any of the three sites. Well, maybe not the People of Walmart site unless someone is holding onto some blackmail photos I do not know about. I do remember several trips during the college years in my pajama pants, but at least they were G rated!

1 comment:

Jay Beerley said...

I don't know how I just saw this post, but I was browsing people of walmart last night and wondering how much time I could waste doing it. It happened when I disovered Awkward Family Photos, too (which you have graciously pointed out will now go down in infamy in our family). I love this kind of stuff.