Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Hairspray and Dreamgirls and Hitch ... oh my!

Well I am sitting here at work taking a bit of a break, trying to think of something semi-mindless to write about, and thought I would do a review of the movies I have seen recently.

Hairspray-- cute movie. John Travolta makes it hilarious. I was impressed to learn that the lead actress was a random person chosen from a nationwide search. You could not tell that this was her first movie/musical, and she did a great job making the movie worth seeing. I haven't seen the '80s version of the movie, but overall I liked this one.

Dreamgirls--outstanding! I was impressed with the music. Jennifer Hudson did an outstanding job as Effy. Although the musical version of Effy had a better voice (in my opinion), you would not know that if you watched the movie version only. All of the acting and singing was exceptional. I think this might be one of my favorite musicals of all time (and therefore, the DVD will be added to my birthday/Christmas list this year).

Hitch-- didn't like it. I thought that something that had Will Smith and the guy from King of Queens would be funny. I was wrong. I think I laughed once (probably because all of the other funny moments were in all of the promos, and therefore were no longer funny). As far as romantic movies go, it wasn't that great at that either. All in all, I was not impressed and thought the writers did a disservice to the cast by not making it funny. Even some dry humor would have been better than the humor that was attempted.

No comments: