Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Where have all the ladies gone?

I am in the midst of a really difficult period at work, so I enjoy coming home to Netflix movies to escape. However, I am often disappointed at what I am seeing. Last night, the selection was The Break-Up. I knew that I probably would not like the movie, but I guess part of me hoped it would be funny. Plus, it was just PG-13, so how bad could it be? It was REALLY bad. The profanity was unbearable. What I noticed most as I watched it though was how unladylike Jennifer Aniston's character was as she cursed in almost every sentence. When did it become ok for women to use that type of language? Society used to believe that cursing was an indication of lower class or lack of class. Now it is accepted no matter the class. I find it completely unattractive. There are plenty of words to use in the English language without having to use vulgar words. Women (and men) have lost their creativity in speaking. Society becomes more and more disrespectful. People begin to lose respect for themselves and others.

On the flip side of this, I am learning that society begins to respect you more just because of your difference in speech when you choose not to curse. Women want equality in the workplace, but yet they put themselves on the same level as men by using foul language. Why not gain more respect by being more careful with words? It definitely gives the appearance of being more professional, and it is an easy thing to do. I have not even gotten into all of the religious reasons that words need to be spoken carefully. I will save that for another post on another day. For now, I will turn to faithful friends in books instead of vulgar movies. Maybe it is time to invest in a language filter for my TV too.

No comments: