Friday, April 4, 2008

Becoming Jane

I watched the movie Becoming Jane not too long ago. As far as movies go, it was a good movie, pretty clean for the most part. The language was not too bad, and it was entertaining. I liked the movie, and it made me more interested in the life of one of my favorite authors, Jane Austen.

I was impressed with the way that the screenwriter wove so many different themes and characters from Jane's books into the movie about her life. What I was not impressed with is that most of the story did not seem to be based upon truth. It seems, from what I read after the movie and what I saw in some of the documentaries that are special features on the DVD, most of the story was fabricated off of just a few small facts known about that time in Jane's life. I would prefer to see a movie that was more fact based since Jane Austen's life seems pretty fascinating just from the facts that are known. However, if you watch the movie just to see a story about how it might have been, the movie is entertaining and helps to explain some of the history behind the novels. Overall it was a good movie, it just did not live up to being about Jane Austen's life (at least as far as we know).

No comments: